We are looking for a talented developer to join our team at the GIS Center @ FIU. Come work with us in sunny Miami 🌴🏖️ on a variety of cool and interesting projects! This is a full time position with benefits.
Responsible for planning, development, implementation, and support of geo-spatial and/or database management applications. Responsible for coordinating and communicating with clients including funding agencies and to attend project meetings at agencies in fulfillment of project goals and objectives. Works with project manager, lead digital developer, and other project team members on web and mobile applications for grant funded projects.
- Leads efforts in front end development and database maintenance of funded geo-spatial projects, such as Security Research Hub, Sea Level Rise applications, and Transportation Outreach Planner.
- Responsible for development of programming of mobile application in support of data gathering.
- Researches new trends and makes recommendations for best practices in geo-spatial web and related computing environment.
- Works closely with GIS technical team to plan, implement, support, and maintain customizations and/or functionality for client and web-based system capabilities for GIS and Digital Collection centers projects.
- Develops in a variety of object-oriented and proprietary application languages.
- Troubleshoots technical and non-technical issues related to existing applications.
- Works in conjunction with project managers and colleagues to assure compatibility and consistency among all systems and processes.
- Hand-codes, analyzes, debugs, and delivers clean, validated, maintainable codes.
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Studies or other technical discipline and three (3) years related experience OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Familiarity and working knowledge with all or most below technologies is preferable: React.JS & Redux.JS, Node.JS & Express.JS, MongoDB or other NoSQL solutions, Docker virtualization (images, containers) , jQuery, Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.
- Experience with Web GIS libraries: e.g. Google Map API, Mapbox GL, or Leaflet
- Experience with version control systems; In particular git (or SVN).
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.