Software Licenses for Students
Software from ESRI
If you are currently registered for a GIS course and have a GIS user account, on the Public (Q) drive please find a folder called _SOFTWARE that contains:
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 software executable file
- Student trial software authorization file
- PDF with step-by-step instructions for installation and authorization
If you are not currently registered for a GIS course, please contact us at (305) 919-4294 or at email@example.com to get a copy of the software and step-by-step instructions for installing and authorizing the software.
ArcGIS Pro Software from ESRI
Please contact us at (305) 919-4294 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about ArcGIS Pro.
Before you Install ArcGIS Desktop (aka ArcMap)
- Check ESRI's instructions for installing ArcGIS Desktop on your machine. Check out the system requirementsto make sure your computer has the hardware and software required.
- The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Server installed; if necessary, uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop or Server. It’s OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer installed.
- Install an image (ISO) extractor program such as 7-Zip.
- Obtain the software and authorization file from your instructor or from the FIU GIS Center.
- Install and authorize ArcGIS Desktop on your machine
- If you are installing from an ISO image, unzip the ArcGIS for Desktop ISO using 7-Zip. In other words, click on the link provided above, and "Save File". Then, extract using an extractor program such as 7-Zip, or WinZip.
- Run Setup.exe (or ESRI.exe) to install ArcGIS for Desktop.
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for a product to authorize; select "Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use".
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you to input an authorization file. Use the file obtained earlier.
ArcGIS Online Organizational Account
- ArcGIS Online is a cloud-based mapping and analysis solution from ESRI.An ArcGIS organizational account (aka ESRI organizational account, AGOL organizational account) allows you to access premium and subscription-based tools and data within ArcGIS Online. For more details on ArcGIS Online, please visit https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/what-is-agol.htm#:~:text=ArcGIS%20Online%20is%20a%20cloud,and%20to%20share%20and%20collaborate.&text=Your%20data%20and%20maps%20are,your%20mapping%20and%20IT%20requirements . To obtain an ArcGIS Online organizational account, email email@example.com.
*All Services offered by the FIU GIS Center, including fee-based Services, are for support of FIU Educational and Research activities.