Software Licenses for Students
ArcGIS Desktop Software from ESRI
ESRI, Inc. offers a free, one-year license for students of universities with a site-wide license (FIU has a site-wide license). The use of this software is limited to educational purposes, and no commercial use is allowed. Please contact us at (305) 919-4294 or via email at email@example.com to get a copy of the software (one copy and activation code per student). IMPORTANT: You will need to activate the authorization code using your ESRI Global Account before it can be used.
Before you Install ArcGIS for Desktop
- Check out the system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required for the trial.
- The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Server installed; if necessary, uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop or Server. It’s OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer installed.
- Install an image (ISO) extractor program such as 7-Zip.
- Activate your authorization code
- Visit ESRI for ArcGIS for Desktop Education and choose "I have an ArcGIS Education Edition authorization code".
- Log in using your Esri Global Account, or create a new account, if necessary.
- Enter the authorization code and click submit.
- Install and authorize the ArcGIS for Desktop software
- If you are installing from an ISO image, unzip the ArcGIS for Desktop ISO using 7-Zip. In other words, click on the link provided above, and "Save File". Then, extract using an extractor program such as 7-Zip, or WinZip.
- Run Setup.exe (or ESRI.exe) to install ArcGIS for Desktop.
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for a product to authorize; select "ArcGIS Desktop – ArcInfo (Single Use)".
- The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for an authorization code; enter your activated code.
Support for the ArcGIS Desktop Education Edition is available at esri.com/evalhelp.
*All Services offered by the FIU GIS Center, including fee-based Services, are for support of FIU Educational and Research activities.