Remote Access via VPN and eLabs
During the period of social distancing in the Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 semesters, users with GIS accounts can access the GIS workstations in the GIS Center via eLabs. eLabs is a multiplatform system used to access applications in a virtual environment or to access remote workstations.
Accessing GIS workstations via VPN and eLabs:
- Step 1: Enroll in 2-factor authentication, if you have not already done so
- Link to Instructions: https://fiu.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=a69690bedb0c3200ff70785e0f9619b7
- As part of enrolling you will see an option to download the DUO app to your phone. It is highly recommended that you do so, as it is the easiest method to use 2fa
- Additional DUO information can be found here: https://fiu.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=dd81ca14db54fa4019f173921f961945
- Step 2: Download & Install the CISCO Anyconnect VPN client if you have not already done so
- Download here: https://network.fiu.edu/vpn/#anyconnect
- Step 3: Login to VPN
- Instructions to Log in with the Cisco AnyConnect client: https://fiu.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=6c3c789ddb899780b16af969af96193d
- Cisco AnyConnect will scan your computer to make sure it meets the FIU security requirements. Information on these requirements here: https://fiu.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=bc95e660dbf5b780b16af969af961968
- Summary of VPN login instructions:
- Open VPN Anyconnect Client. From the drop down menu, select vpn.fiu.edu
- If vpn.fiu.edu is not there, type it in
- Click on “connect”
- On next screen – type in your username and password
- There will be a field that says second password. This is where you enter your 2fa code.
- Open your DUO app, tap on “TwoFactor” to generate the code and then enter it in the second password field and login.
- Step 4 : In your browser go to the elabs site at https://elabs.fiu.edu
- Step 5: If you don't have a Citrix client installed, once connected to elabs, it will prompt you to download and install the client
Once you have the Citrix client installed, you can go back to the eLabs page and click continue
- Step 6: Log in to eLabs
- Students can just login with their username & password. But faculty and staff must enter their username in the following format: AD\username
- Step 7: Connecting to the GIS Lab
- Once connected to both VPN and eLabs, you should see three tabs at the top of the screen. The tabs are "Home", "Apps", "Desktops". Click on "Desktops," and you will be able to access the GIS lab workstations that have been set up for remote access.
- Step 8: Sign out of the workstation when done
- In order to free up the workstation for the next class/user, you must sign out using the start menu.
Go to the Windows icon, click your user name, and select “Sign Out".
If you have any issues, please check the eLabs Troubleshooting article here: https://fiu.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=3a90f4e4db24d010ff70785e0f961940
NOTE: You must have antivirus software installed and upated for the VPN to work on your machine.
Additional questions about VPN or eLabs access?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and at 305.348.7949 or 305.348.6443.